GitHub is a provider of Internet hosting for software development and version control. For more information about GitHub, see official documentation.
About GitHub Assistant
GitHub Assistant is a functional tool developed by the Lark team. It allows you to get real-time development updates in Lark, making it easier to track, manage and communicate your development process.
With the GitHub Assistant, you can:
- •Add the GitHub CI Assistant bot to your project group in Lark, so the bot can keep your whole team updated on the associated software project.
- •Set up the GitHub mobile gadget, so you can check the updates of your projects anytime on your mobile.
- 1.Configure bot in group
Add bot to group
1.1 On Lark desktop, go to your team's group chat and add the GitHub Assistant bot to the group. (For details, see Bot | Use bots in groups)
1.2 Get the webhook address from the bot by typing the command
The webhook address will be sent to the owner of the group only. Keep the URL available for use shortly.
Note: The following commands are also available for use:
@GitHub Assistant help - Use this command in group chat or private chat with the bot to view help information.
- •group owner onlyUse this command in group chat to reset the webhook address.
Project AdministratorConfigure webhook in GitHub
2.1 Navigate to GitHub and select the repository of your project, click Settings
2.2 To create a new webhook, select Webhooks > Add webhook
2.3 Fill in the associated fields as specified in the chart below. Then click Add webhook
2.4 After the webhook configuration in GitHub is complete, you'll receive a notification in the Lark project group
3.1 To test your configuration, trigger an event in your GitHub repository. If the configuration is successful, the GitHub Assistant bot will post a message to your Lark project group, notifying group members of this event. The following events are supported:
- •Webhook configured successfully
- •Issue created, closed or reopened
- •Issue edited or commented on
- •Pull Request created, closed or reopened
3.2 Click the Detail button to view more information in your web browser.
- •Now you have completed the configuration of the GitHub Assistant bot, it will keep your whole team updated on the associated software projects in group chats.
- •Go on to the next section if you want to use the GitHub Assistant gadget on your mobile. The gadget allows you to follow a list of the projects you're concerned with and check their updates without leaving Lark mobile.
- 2.Configure mobile gadget
Log in with personal account
Open Lark on mobile and launch the GitHub Assistant app (not to be confused with the GitHub Assistant bot), enter your username and password, then click Sign In. Authorize the gadget to access the required information of your GitHub account.
Now when your Lark group receives a project update notification, you'd be able to click the Detail button on the message card on your mobile and check the update details in the GitHub Assistant gadget.
Track project progress on gadget
To be able to check a project's pull requests and issues on your mobile anytime, you can add all your projects to the Dashboard tab of the GitHub Assistant gadget.
To add a project to the gadget's dashboard, , find any notification card about this project in the associated group chat, and click Detail to open it in the mobile gadget. After that, all pull requests and issues of this project will appear in the Dashboard tab.
Switch between the Pull Request and Issues tab to keep track of the updates in all your software projects. Click each item on the list to view the details.
View, edit and comment on projects
In the details page of a pull request or an issue, you can close or open the item, add labels, specify assignees, view and post comments, and check the associated commits.