I. Function introduction
Docs provides a powerful version management feature to help you easily retrieve version history and trace editing objects. When content is modified, the system will automatically retain the historical version, keeping records of the modifying person, modified time and modified details, allowing you to restore content to any historical version with one click if necessary. In addition, only users with edit permission can view and restore historical records, providing protection for document data.
II. Operation process
- 1.At the upper right corner of the document page, click the ... button and select Version history to view history. You'll see all historical records arranged in reverse chronological order, along with the corresponding modification person and modification time.
- 2.In the list of Version history, the most recent change of the document will be displayed as the first item. Text with green highlight means it's new or added content. Text with a red strikethrough means the content was deleted. You can also see the corresponding person who made the changes.
- 3.Click the X button in the upper right corner of the list to close the Version history.
Restore previous version
- 1.In the list of version history, select the historical version you want to restore.
- 2.Click the More actions button in the upper right corner of the previous version of an item, doublecheck whether the version is the one you want to retrieve.
- 3.Click the Restore button in the upper right corner to restore the previous version.
Note: The deleted (red strikethrough) content can't be restored directly in this version. If you want to retrieve it, please restore the one before this version.
Who can view the history?
In order to ensure the security of a Doc, only the Doc owner and users with permission to edit can view and restore history records.
I can't find the entry of Version history of some documents?
Only users with permission to edit can view and restore history records. Therefore, for users with permission to view only, the entry of the Version history function is hidden in the menu bar.
What are local records? What are the differences between local records and historical records?
If there is conflict between your offline editing and someone else's editing, your offline editing will be displayed in Local records. Once the internet is connected, you can view all the changes of the offline editing, and decide whether to restore the local records.
Can the table, spreadsheet and main text in a be restored together?
Table can be restored together with text but spreadsheet and text need to be restored separately. The modification details of the spreadsheet will be listed separately as a historical record. Therefore, only restoring the text won't restore the spreadsheet, and vice versa. Please find the corresponding spreadsheet Version history to restore the spreadsheet.
After the version is restored, but the deleted content isn't recovered?
First of all, please confirm whether the historical version selected for restoration is accurate. If you restore a historical version that appears to be "deleted...", it restores the version after the content was deleted. If you want to restore the version before deletion, please select to delete the earlier historical version of the record to restore.