Note: Only super administrators and administrators with user group management permission can manage user groups. In addition, a function to batch update user groups and add departments to groups through Excel is in beta testing. To apply for this function, or your Customer Success manager.
User groups are primarily used for permission control. You can use them to set standard permissions for a group of users. For example, you can allow the members of one user group to use a specific app, and specify that the members of another group can't view organizational structures for other users.
User groups can be used in the following ways:
- •Administrators can set default doc permissions based on user groups.
- •Administrators can set recommended Workplace apps for user groups.
Go to Lark admin console and click Organization > User Group and click Add user group.
Enter the following information in the user group creation pop-up window:
- 1.User group name: Enter the name of the user group, which must be unique within the tenant (including dynamic groups).
- 2.Description: Add a description for the user group.
- 3.Scope of disclosure: Select the members or departments to add to the user group. If you add a department to the user group, users who are added to or removed from the department will enter or leave the user group.
- 4.Click Confirm to create the user group.
Edit user groups
Click the ... icon to the right of a user group and select Edit user group. This opens the user group editing window, where you can modify the group name and description.
Delete user groups
Or you select Delete user group. Click Confirm to delete the user group.
To add new members to a user group, select the user group and click + Add members on the right.
You can add members in the following ways:
- •Search for a member name, email address, or phone number in the search box and then add the member.
- •Search for a department name in the search box and then add the department.
- •Open a department or sub-department to locate members to add.
- •Open a department or sub-department to locate departments to add.
- •Select all the members of a department and its sub-department and add them to the user group.
After adding members, click Confirm.
- •To remove one member from a user group, go to the group, tick the member to remove, and click the Delete button next to the member.
- •To remove multiple members, tick the members to remove and click Remove Members.
Batch import user groups
To add multiple user groups that already have member lists, you can use the Excel template provided by Lark to quickly create the groups and add the specified members to them.
Click Batch Import/Export to go to the batch operation interface.
Download the empty template, fill it in, and then use it to import the user groups and members. You can also export table of existing user groups, edit it, and re-upload it to batch add members to existing groups.
For more details, see the instructions in the Excel template:
Note: You can automatically sync user groups via Open APIs. To learn more, visit
- •A single organization can create up to 500 user groups (including user groups and dynamic groups).
- •Each user group can include up to 100,000 members.
- •A single user group can include up to 20 departments (excluding dynamic groups).
- •The total number of members in all user groups can't exceed 10x the total number of organization members. If this upper limit is reached, the organization can't create any more user groups or add new members to user groups.