Docs now provides more powerful version history capability to help you easily retrieve previous edits. When the content is modified, the system will automatically keep the version histories, and record who edited the document. You can restore the content to any version history with one click. Please note that only users with edit permission can view and restore version histories.
View version history
- 1.Open version history: Click on the ... button in the upper right corner of a oc, then click on Version history to open version history list.
- 2.View specific version history: All versions are listed in reverse chronological order with detailed edit history information. Click on a specific version history to view all document details in that version.
Show Changes: At the bottom right of the version history page, you can turn on or off Show changes button to show or hide changes in document. Docs marks edits by different users in different colors. You can hover over content to see who added or deleted it. You can also check who made edits in the version history list by the colorful dots before editor names.
If you only want to view edits, simply click on Previous and Next button in the upper right to jump between edits.
- 3.Expand version history: In the version history list, click on the little triangle points to right to see all details of a version history details.
- 4.Exit version history: Click on the Back to document button in the upper left corner to exit version history.
Restory version history
Step 1: In the version history list, click on the version yod like to restore. In the left side, double check that this is the version to restore.
Step 2: Click on the Restore this version button at the top of the page.
Note: Content deleted in the version cant be restored. If you want to retrieve earlier content, try find them in the previous versions.
Who can view version history?
To protect your information privacy, only users with edit permission (including the owner) can view and restore version history.
Why can't I see the version history function in the drop-down menu?
Only user with permission can view and restore version history. Version history w appear in your menu if you only have view permission.
Can version history track all edits of the doc?
Most edits will be saved to version history and can be restored except content listed as below:
- •Poll: nly inserting or deletion of a poll will be recorded in version history. Editing details w be recorded.
- •Flowcharts and UML disgram: nly inserting or deletion of a diagram will be recorded in version history. Editing details wbe recorded.
Why can't I see highlights in version history?
Make sure youve turned on the Show changes button at the bottom of the version history list. Also, please note that content format edits (e.g. title style, bold, align, and text color etc.) w be highlighted.
Can I use the updated version history function in all ocs?
nfortunately, ocs created before September 5th, 2020 w be able to use the updated version history function. Click here to learn how to use the previous version of version history.
Whats the difference between local record and version history?
Local records helps you save edits when the internet ist connected. Docs will automatically sync local record to cloud when the internet is re-connected. Once synced to cloud, local record will transfer edits history to version history.
Why can't my content be restored?
If you find your desired content ist restored, please double check if youve restored the correct version. If you want to restore deleted content, simply restore the version saved before desired content was deleted.