For more information, please visit
Lark is a new generation enterprise app suite. Lark empowers organizations to work more efficiently by communicating with colleagues, collaborating on documents, sharing calendars, and quickly organizing meetings in a single integrated environment. With greater efficiency, easier collaboration, and more security, Lark helps organizations reduce production and management costs.
Lark also allows organizations to develop their own custom apps tailored exactly to their needs. Organizations can:
- •Quickly integrate existing internal systems into Lark
- •Integrate third-party tools that offer open APIs into Lark
- •Develop new custom apps
Steps for developing a custom app will be introduced in order below:
I. Create a custom app
- 1.In Lark Developer, go to Developer Console and click Create an App.
- 2.Enter the name of the app and other information, and then click Create.
3. After you've created your app, you'll be able to see it in the custom app list.
II. Develop and configure the app
- 1.Enable app features
A Lark app can have three features: gadget, bot and web app. You can enable just one or all features. Each one has a different focus and purpose:
- •Gadgets and web apps allow you to interact with the user via an interface.
- •Gadgets provide a smooth and near-native experience.
- •If you need to connect an existing web-based system to Lark, enable the web app feature.
- •Bots are mainly used to talk to users. If you need your app to send messages to users, you need to enable the bot feature.
In Developer Console, click on Features on the left hand side and select the features you would like to enable. On each feature page, click the switch to enable the feature. For more information on how to develop each feature, see the following documents:
- 2.Set an app's default feature
If your app has enabled multiple features such as gadget, web app, and bot, you can set one of them as the default feature during version releases. When a user visits your app via Workplace, Search or other accesses, the default feature you've set will be accessed by default.
Go to the app details page in Lark Developer and choose Version Management & Release > Create version.
Go to the Version Details page. Set Default App Feature on Mobile or Default App Feature on Desktop and then click Save.
Click Submit for release. The default feature will take effect after the version is approved and released.
- 3.Enable permissions
In Developer Console, click on Permissions on the left hand side to go to the permissions page. Enable the permissions required by your app. Select permissions you need only. Requesting unnecessary permissions can result in companies not using your app.
- 4.Test your app
- •Gadgets: Use Lark on a mobile phone to scan the gadget QR code in the IDE or Lark Developer to preview and test the app.
- •Web apps: Enter the URL into a browser to test it.
- •Bots: Once the bot is created, use the Lark app to search for the bot and add it to a group for testing.
III. Release and publish the app
When you create a new app version and submit it for release, your organization administrator will review the app, including the following:
- •Basic information (including gadget version changes)
- •App permissions
The process is as follows:
- 1.Select Version Management & Release in the menu on the left, and then click Create a version.
- 2.Enter version details:
- 3.Submit for release.
- 4.Wait for the review result. Once you've submitted your app for release, your organization's administrator will review the app and the result will be sent to you via Lark and Lark Developer.
- 5.If your app is approved, it will be immediately published online within your organization. That means organization employees will be able to find it in the Workplace in the app.
- 6.If your app is not approved, you will be informed of the reason. Make necessary changes to the app and re-submit it for review.