Docs supports one-click access to the editor of each part of a document. This clarifies who's the content owner when multiple collaborators are co-creating. In addition, you can follow specific editor of your interest to improve your reading efficiency.
In the upper-right corner of a document, click ... and turn on or off the toggle switch on the right side of Show editors.
Note: The action is only effective in the current document.
- ◦Principal editor: On the left side of the document, you can view the principal editor of a paragraph, which is the user who contributed the most to this paragraph.
- ◦editor: Underlined text indicates other users have input content to this paragraph. You can hover your cursor over the underlined text to view the editor of the specific text.
Note: Modifications to text styles (such as bold, underline, and set as title) aren't regarded as inputs.
What permissions are required to view editors?
It depends on the condition of both the requester and the document owner.
- •If the requester and the document owner are within the same tenant, any user that has permission to read or edit the document can view the editors.
- •If the requester and the document owner aren't within the same tenant, only the users that have permission to edit the document can view the editors.
- •If the requester isn't logged in (anonymous user), they can't view the editors regardless of the permission they have.
Note: For users who don't have the permission to view editors, the View editor feature won't be shown in the ... menu on the upper-right corner of the document.
Who will be regarded as an editor?
Only the users who have input content will be classified as editors. If a user only modified the text style (such as bold, underline, and set as title), they won't be marked as an editor.
Do all documents support view editors?
Documents created after December 1, 2020 support viewing editors.
If a copy is created, will the copy retain the editor information of the original document?
No. In the copy of a document, the creator will be the editor for all content.