Lock data in certain rows and columns using the Protect range feature to allow only selected collaborators to edit them.
Set the Protect range
- 1.Click Protect range in the toolbar, and select Protect row or Protect column.
- 2.Set the rows and columns to lock, and configure Permission Settings. You can either allow only the file owner and yourself to edit the locked data, or grant edit permissions to selected collaborators.
- 3.You can add a note to this protected range to explain why this data range is protected. All collaborators can see this note.
View or modify protection settings
- •To see all protection settings, click Protect range in the toolbar > View all protection settings. A Protect ranges & sheets list will appear on the right showing all protection settings.
- •To modify a protection setting, click the corresponding pencil icon in the Protect ranges & sheets list.
- •To remove a protection setting, click the corresponding trash icon in the Protect ranges & sheets list.
See protected data in the current worksheet
Click Protect range in the toolbar > Show protected ranges. Data which you have no permission to edit will be shown in gray. When your cursor is within the protected range, the toolbar icons will turn gray as well.
Tips: If no content turns gray after you click Show protected ranges, you can edit the entire worksheet.
Who can add, modify, and remove protection settings?
Collaborators with edit permissions to the sheet can add, modify and remove protection settings.
How can I grant selected collaborators edit permissions to a Protect range?
Yes. Click on Protect range > Protect row or Protect column > Change permissions, and set which collaborators can edit the protected range.
Tips: The Change permissions list only shows collaborators with edit permissions. Collaborators with only view permissions to the file can't be granted edit permissions to protected data.
Can I prevent the file owner from editing protected data?
No. The file owner has unalterable edit permission to all content by default.